Earshot’s Call for Composers Now Open!
Earshot Jazz is calling for a composer currently residing in the Puget Sound region! Selected commission will be premiered at the 2024 Earshot Jazz Festival at some point during October through November.
How to apply:
Please complete this form to provide the information below.
– Personal narrative: a short bio written in first person, of 250 words or less that does not include your name (see why below in the Selection Process Overview)
– Concept for the piece: about 3-6 sentences
– General info: your contact, social media handles for promo, and address
– An artistic sample or artistic composition of your typical work (can be audio alone, or audio accompanied by video/visuals)
– A representative artistic sample of the concept for newly commissioned composition (if different than typical work)
– Does not have to be the same instrumentation as proposed work
– This will help our community panel understand the project you are proposing, especially if it is different from your standard work
– Both the artistic sample and representative artistic sample should be within 10 minutes
If you need any assistance completing your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any clarification. Young composers are encouraged to apply!
Link to application form: https://forms.gle/RAWh2KYw7V9ppkH2A
The goal of this program is to find the jazz that folx in our community are creating that is authentic, innovative, and moving. While we absolutely appreciate straight-ahead jazz, we are looking for resident artists that are making this music in new and different ways.
Your commissioned work…
– Should be an original composition
– Should be a minimum of ten minutes
– Can be written for 3-7 artists
– Should result in a printed score, lead sheet, or some other form of graphic notation
– Must be completed prior to the 2024 Earshot Jazz Festival, by October 1, 2024
Earshot Jazz will have the exclusive right to present the world premiere of the work at the 2024 Earshot Jazz Festival. While the composer will retain ownership of the new composition. Newly commissioned work will remain the property of the artist/composer, and will not be used by Earshot Jazz without express written permission of the artist.
Selection Process Overview
A community panel will meet in February to begin the initial review of submissions. The panel’s review can occur over the course of a couple months, and in order to not impede or rush the process, we appreciate your patience. The panel goes through a number of rounds of both independent and group listening sessions, scoring, and reviewing. Submissions are presented to the panel anonymously (they will not know the name of the artist they are listening to, but they will have access to everything that is submitted).
Notifications of the panel’s decision will go out via email, keep an eye on your inbox! One composer will be selected to commission a musical work and will receive $3,000. Selected composer will receive two separate contracts: a “Contract for Commissioning A Musical Work” in the spring along with the commission payment, and another “Performance Agreement” with a separate payment during next year’s festival.
Application deadline is Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
If you have any further questions or concerns, reach out to email@example.com. We’re happy to help! We look forward to reviewing your submission.
Want to stay in touch with these and other great jazz happenings in our region?