ssocial media, 2018 Festival Intern Jojo Clio. Photo by Karen Caropepe.
Operating year-round out of our office in Fremont, Seattle, Earshot Jazz is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to ensuring the legacy and progression of the jazz art form. Earshot produces more than 100 concerts throughout the year, publishes the monthly Earshot Jazz magazine, provides grant assistance to resident artists, presents jazz education programs, and more.
We provide flexible internships to students at the high school or college levels who are interested in arts management, the music industry, event production, arts communication, or more. To learn more about interning with Earshot Jazz, e-mail email@example.com.
Festival Internship Summary
The Earshot Jazz Festival Internship program is designed to provide interns insight into the inner-workings of a world-class music festival through hands-on experience. Internships run from September through November and are part-time, with some evening and weekend work. Intern duties will be assigned based on skill set and interest, and can range from communications/social media, multimedia, administration, production, and more. Internships are paid, and we are happy to look into offering course credit where necessary.
– Students pursuing degree in communications, arts management, arts administration, publication arts, and music/jazz studies are encouraged to apply.
– Candidates must have excellent communication, time management, and organizational skills, and professional manners.
– Experience with loading equipment, stage operations, volunteering, production, photography, videography, hospitality, Google Suites, Adobe Suites, social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok) MailChimp, and Patron Manager is a plus.
– Passion for music and appreciation for jazz is essential!
Earshot Jazz Festival Production Intern
Job Title: Earshot Jazz Festival Production Intern (Part-time, paid)
About this project: Now in it’s 34th year, the annual Earshot Jazz Festival brings jazz greats from around the world (Marquis Hill, The Count Basie Orchestra, Louis Cole Big Band, Miguel Zenon, Makaya McCraven, Anat Cohen Quartetinho, Logan Richardson bluePEOPLES, Charles Lloyd, among many others) into creative collaboration with audiences and artists while celebrating Seattle’s place in the world of jazz with main stage concerts by our award-winning student ensembles and a strong representation by our renowned resident artists (Alex Dugdale, Vitamin D, Bad Luck, Robin Holcomb, Darrell Grant, Jacqueline Tabor and more). Earshot Jazz Festival 2022 will present events in nine venues in the greater Seattle area, and produce half of this season’s concerts as in both in-person events and livestreams. The deadline to apply to be the Earshot Jazz Festival Production Intern is Thursday, September 15 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PT.
Earshot Jazz Festival Production Dates: September 22 – November 7, 2022
Festival Concert Dates: October 8 – November 6, 2022
Number of Events you are required to attend: 4
About the position: Earshot seeks to hire a Production Intern from the Seattle/King County area to be an integral member of the Earshot Jazz Festival team. This position reports to the Production Manager and Hospitality, with additional experience working FOH with Box Office and Volunteer Coordinator, reporting to Managing Director. Because of the event-oriented nature of the work, daily schedules are subject to change as required to fulfill the requirements of the role. Regular shifts are eight hours from 2p–10p or 3p–11p.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Loader/ Stagehand (On-site): work with Production Manager to transport and set necessary staging equipment
- Lead FOH Volunteer (On-site): work closely with FOH staff to lead communications and scheduling of concert volunteers
- Hospitality Runner (On-site): assist with backstage set-up per venue policy and artist meal specifications; provide on-site support in greenroom set-up or breakdown
- Marketing Assistant (On-site): create compelling stories from your experience to publish on our social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter TikTok); report to Marketing team for photography or video tasks as assigned
Time commitment estimate:
– Four shows for eight hours each, totaling an estimated 32 hours
– Saturday, October 8 Remembering Overton Berry w/ Diane Schuur
– Friday, October 14 The Count Basie Orchestra
– Saturday, October 22 Louis Cole Big Band
– Saturday, October 29 Anat Cohen Quartetinho
– $15 per hour ($480 total), plus meals provided on-site
– Festival Pass (non-transferrable), $450 value
Who you are:
- Aged 18-25
- Possesses exemplary interpersonal and customer service skills; managing interaction with artists, musicians, and patrons in a courteous and professional manner
- Able to multitask, problem-solve and maintain professionalism
- Capable of lifting and carrying objects up to 40 pounds for some distance using proper handling techniques
- Required: Has a general love for the arts. Preferred: You have a passion for jazz, and are familiar with or interested in learning about best practices of facilitating a Black American art form
- Fluency of digital platforms (FB, IG and Twitter) and knowledge of Google Suites, Adobe Suites, MailChimp, and Patron Manager software is a plus
Halynn Blanchard, Production Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Caropepe, Managing Director email@example.com
Note on COVID-19:
We are committed to the safety and well-being of our staff, artists and audiences. Our best public health practices will carefully follow recommendations by the CDC. As Earshot staff, you are required to be vaccinated and will be in close contact with touring and local artists, who will be required to show proof of vaccination if performing maskless. All staff and audience are asked to be vaccinated and remain masked on-site while not consuming food or beverage.
How to apply
Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org with their resume and a statement of interest and experience.
Deadline: Thurs, Sept 15 2022, e.o.d.