Operating year-round out of our office in Fremont, Seattle, Earshot Jazz is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to ensuring the legacy and progression of the jazz art form. Earshot produces more than 100 concerts throughout the year, publishes the monthly Earshot Jazz magazine, provides grant assistance to resident artists, presents jazz education programs, and more.
Earshot Jazz Editor
Earshot Jazz is seeking an editor to oversee the production of its monthly magazine. With Earshot’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including people from the BIPOC community and those from other traditionally marginalized communities. This is a part-time contract position.
- Develop editorial calendar with Earshot Jazz staff
- Plan articles and assign writers
- Write editorial content for monthly magazine, including news briefs and event previews
- Copy edit and fact check all editorial material
- Coordinate artwork with writers, photographer, and layout designer
- Uphold the integrity, tone/style, and mission of Earshot Jazz
- Minimum 2 years in similar role
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or similar field encouraged. Candidates without a degree but with equivalent practical experience will also be considered.
- Superior writing and proofreading skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Adheres strictly to deadlines
- Experienced managing others and working in a collaborative team environment
- Committed to mentoring new writers and diversifying Earshot’s pool of writers
- Familiarity working with style guides
- Self-starting, adaptable work ethic
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus
- Knowledge of Seattle arts scene and/or jazz industry preferred; interest in required
Estimated at 40 hours per month / $1000 per month
Bonus: For InDesign Layout. Estimated at 16-24 hours per month / + $350 per month
Bonus: For Print Distribution Coordinator. Estimated at 8 hours per month / + $200 per month
Bonus: For Digital Distribution (WordPress and Mailchimp). Estimated at 6 hours / + $150 per month
How to Apply
Please send resume, brief letter of interest, and two published clips to firstname.lastname@example.org. While this position may be performed virtually, we invite regional candidates only at this time. Application deadline is March 31st 2021.
About Earshot Jazz
Formed in 1984, Earshot Jazz supports the growing community of jazz artists and audiences in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. Through concert presentation, grant assistance, arts education support, and distribution of the monthly magazine, Earshot Jazz cultivates a vibrant jazz community to ensure the legacy and progression of the art form.
Earshot Jazz does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our community including staff, artists, audiences, volunteers, and partners.
Earshot Jazz Writers
Earshot Jazz is looking for freelance writers to contribute to the Earshot Jazz magazine. Assignments include special features, profiles, previews, and reviews. Email email@example.com for more information.